Monday, January 27, 2014

Along the Path



Hey Dad!  [Ed. note - Debbie had problems with her email last night and wasn't able to send a message to Parker -thus the "Hey Dad!"]
Can you believe that it has been so long since we were in London? That seems like just a few months ago. I hope you are having a lot of fun especially because you know your way around a bit more. Do you remember going through that spook alley? It wasn't that scary, but it was fun to push hanging skulls into the lady's face in front of us. She didn't enjoy it as much as I did.
We had a pretty good week here. We didn't end up getting hot water again until friday so we went a whole week without hot showers. I guess it helped us be a bit more perky throughout the day. We had a really hard time this week with getting visible results but it is ok because we did our best, and we can't make decisions for others. I am excited to


Sardoni and Eldredge
see what miracles are coming our way because we never gave up all week. The weather is reminding me of Utah because it can't seem to make up it's mind about being rainy and cold or just plain beautiful.
A man came up to us on the street this week and asked us if we were mormons, and then asked us what the name of God is. I knew exactly what church he was from. He found our beliefs pretty interesting so he asked if we could meet the next morning and "talk" about the Bible. The next morning I started my personal study about 40 minutes early just to really prepare myself before going out to meet him. We went out to the place that he wanted us to wait for him and when he came we crossed the street and walked up the road. Not to my surprise there was a Kingdoms hall sitting at the top of this street. He also brought a friend with him. We met inside their church and started to talk about the church. We tried at first to show them many of the things that we have in common but they just wanted to prove us wrong in any way possible. I was amazed to find myself remembering scriptures in the Bible to back us up and to testify from. At the end of our time with them, the man that talked to us on the street asked us what the biggest difference between our churches were. I told him, "There are many differences in our church 
St. Gallen District
that differ us from everyone else in the world. We have modern day prophets and scriptures, but the biggest difference between us and the rest of the world, is authority to act in the name of God for the salvation of man." I felt the spirit so strong when I said that too him, and I could tell that he felt it too as I looked into his eyes.
Through my mission so far, one of my problems has been that I teach too much without giving enough testimony. I learned during this meeting, as we simply bore testimony without trying to win some childish scripture battle, that the spirit is the strongest tool we have.
I also wanted to share a bit of my studies this morning. I have an assignment for the next district meeting to talk about some of our mission goals. So as I was studying goal setting in "Preach my Gospel" these thoughts came into mind:
When I imagine goal setting, I envision myself allowing for a path to be built in front of me. At the end of this path lies my desire or goal. While this path is being built, I notice the many obstacles, and that this path is not so smooth as I had hoped. In fact, now it looks very difficult! I decided that if I want to reach the end of this path, I am going to have to plan every step.
I feel that goal setting is the best way to make any sort of progress in life, and I have learned that even when we feel like we didn't get as far as we had hoped, we are still a lot further along than when we started.
Well I hope that you all have a great week! Dad, how long are you staying in London? Also, would you happen to still have those to SD cards that I sent home a few months ago? I might like to see at least one of those again.
I love you all and I pray for you all!
Elder Eldredge 

No comments:

Post a Comment